Enjoy the big screen experience with us at the University of Otago's Red Lecture Theatre (located near the side entrance of the Scott Building, Great King St, across from the emergency entrance to the Dunedin Public Hospital).
Welcome to the Dunedin Film Society's 2014 season of classic and contemporary cinema from across New Zealand and around the world.
- Exciting cinema that pushes the boundaries
- See films you may never have heard of - you'll be surprised how much you enjoy them
- Weekly screenings that give you time to reflect
- Exceptional value - a full membership subscription works out to less than $3 a film (there is no additional admission fee)
- Great discounts at local cinemas (Rialto and Metro), and the 2014 New Zealand International Film Festival (Dunedin 31 July-17 August) and the Dunedin Italian Film Festival.
Next screening: Wednesday 23 April, 7.30pm
|VANYA ON 42ND STREET
Louis Malle│USA│1994│119 mins│Digital│G
In the early '90s, theater director André Gregory mounted a series of private performances of Chekhov’s Uncle Vanya in a Manhattan playhouse. This experiment in pure theater—featuring a remarkable cast of actors, including Wallace Shawn, Julianne Moore, and George Gaynes—would have been lost had it not been captured on film, with subtle cinematic brilliance, by Louis Malle. Malle's film, which turned out to be his last, is a tribute to the playwright’s devastating work as well as to the creative process itself. - Criterion